Pessimism is realism

This is a sister piece to my previous post about the relationship between optimism, pessimism, and realism. Please go back to read that before this as I will be working off of definitions used in that post.

I believe this topic to be impossible to really answer on an objective level. I think that everybody has different experiences in life. Some people are gifted with unbelievable luck, and some are not. That said, I am here to make my argument as to why my opinion on the topic is valid. As one may guess, I view myself as a pessimist through and through. I used to hate the idea of being a pessimist, but I have since accepted the reality of the matter. I am a very pessimistic person. So do I view myself as a realist? The answer is yes. I think pessimism promises a much more accurate model of life. Things do not go the way that people want. The world is a dark and cold place. Life will ruthlessly beat you to a pulp and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. The world sucks. Death, rape, genocide, infanticide, world hunger, widespread poverty, and much more make up why the world we know is dark and cold. People do not care about you. Yes you. Future me and potential readers. The vast majority of people would not even know if you dropped off the face of the planet tomorrow. There are 7 billion people on this planet. Even assuming you are like the most popular person at your high school/college/workplace and you have a huge family, the amount of people that would care if you died cannot realistically be over 5000. Unless you are some celebrity. That means that more than 99% of people on this planet likely would not even know you existed, let alone care if you died. Feel insignificant enough yet? By viewing the world how it really is, it is exceedingly difficult to not be pessimistic. That is why, logically speaking, pessimism is realism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incels are equal parts interesting and sad

Laziness

I wish I wasn't different